Southmead Health Centre
Ullswater Road, Southmead
Bristol, BS10 6DF
Tel: 0117 950 7150
Willow Tree Surgery
1 Trevelyan Walk, Henbury
Bristol, BS10 7NY
Tel: 0117 950 7750
Home Our team How do I ...? Appointments Emergencies Clinics Other information Search
Newsletter Summer 2015
Your GP Cares Campaign
Online Services
Data Sharing
Patient Participation Group

Latest News...



Do you help and support a partner, relative, child or friend who could not manage without your help due to physical or mental illness, disability, frailty or addiction?


  • Anyone can become a carer at any age, children, parents, daughters, sons, spouses, partners; caring sometimes just happens to you;
  •  Many people don’t think of themselves as carers;
  •  You may be a carer whether or not you live in the same house as the person you care for or even if that person lives in a residential or nursing home.

People paid to care like care workers are not included in this definition of carers.

1. Look after your own Health – Tell your GP you are a Carer!

It’s important to look after your own health so that you can go on caring for as long as you want to. It is easy not to look after your own health when you are looking after someone else.

  • We would like to help you to stay as fit and healthy as possible.
  • We offer most carers a free flu vaccination each Autumn
  • We keep a register of carers who are our patients so that we can provide you with information about organisations that may be able to help
  • Please ask at reception for help with registering yourself as a carer with the practice or discuss it with your Doctor / Nurse.

2. Carry the Carers Emergency Card:

The Carers Emergency Card identifies you as a carer so if you are taken seriously ill or have an accident, whoever finds you can ring the number on the card and tell the Emergency Communications Team that the person you care for needs help. This team can then arrange up to 72 hours of care for that person at home. The only information held on the card is an emergency telephone number and your Carer PIN Number; it carries no other personal information about you or the person you care for. If the person you care for pays Council Tax in Bristol call Care Direct to order your card on: 0117 922 2700 or email:

3. Tell Social Services you are a Carer

You may also need practical support to care,

  • someone to sit with or give care to the person you care for while you go out,
  • equipment to help you to lift or move the person you care for or
  • information about local carers and other support organisations.

In Bristol, social services for adults is called Adult Health and Social Care; you can contact them on Care Direct, 0117 922 2700; email . For Children’s’ Services in Bristol, telephone 0117 922 2000.

Adult Health and Social Care will usually assess the person you care for to see what help he/she might be eligible to receive. Carers who frequently provide help to the person they look after are also entitled to an assessment, called a Carers Assessment. A Carer’s Assessment can be done;

  • with a social worker from Adult Health and Social Care,
  • by completing an assessment form online at , or
  • a Carers Support Centre case worker can visit and complete an online assessment with you. For this option contact CarersLine on 0117 965 2200.

4. Are you Missing out on any Money you are entitled to?

The benefits system is complicated; finding out what you and the person you care for are entitled to can be difficult. For information or advice call CarersLine on 0117 965 2200.

5. Contact your local Carers’ Support Centre

The Carers’ Support Centre is a local charitable organisation that can:

  •  provide you with information, advice and advocacy on any aspect of caring and local support services that might be useful;
  •  put you in touch with other organisations that offer specialist support;
  •  provide a range of services such as support with Carers assessments and help to get breaks from caring and holidays.

For information, advice or just an understanding, listening ear call the Carers’ Support Centre confidentially: CarersLine 0117 9652200

6. Tell People at Work you are a Carer

Juggling work and looking after someone can be difficult. Telling your employer or manager that you are caring for someone may also be difficult but,

  •  you have the legal right to request flexible working to help you balance caring and work responsibilities; your employer has to seriously consider this request.
  •  you also have the right to time off in an emergency to care for someone.

It is at the employer’s discretion whether such leave is paid or unpaid.

7. Talk to Someone about how being a Carer affects you

Many carers find it useful to be able to ‘off load’ the stresses and strains that caring can bring. It is important to be aware of the impact caring can have on you and your own health. Talking about this whether to a professional person, family member or friend can be a help in itself or can be the first step to getting the support that you need.

The Carers Support Centre provides specialist counselling and telephone befriending services and carers’ groups that meet regularly to share practical ideas, support and friendship. To find out more about these options call CarersLine 0117 9652200


  •  Bristol City Council Health and Social Care; Care Direct 0117 922 2700:
    Website ; information, advice, assessment and commissions and arranges care and support services
  •  Carers Support Centre; CarersLine 0117 965 2200:
    Website ; information, advice and services focussed on supporting carers
  •  Carers Support Centre Young Carers; 0117 939 2562:
    Website and click on young carers; information, advice, services and activities focussed on supporting young carers
  •  Well Aware; 0808 808 5252
     Website ; information on health, wellbeing and
     community resources


Change text size: Larger text size Smaller text size
Online Prescriptions...
Online Appointments...
Out Of Hours Service...
Self Care Information

Visual Productions Ltd